Friday, January 12, 2018

Honoring my daddy's legacy

I can’t believe it’s been a year since my daddy died, and what a year it has been. There were many low points. And yet, in the midst of my grief I’ve wanted to honor my daddy’s legacy. He was a great man who taught me many things and instilled great values in me. As I seek to honor his legacy, I reflect on some of the values he instilled in me that motivate me to live my life well.

Education
From a young age, I can remember, education was always a priority in our household. As a young kid, reading was the norm and expectation at our home. I vividly remember participating in summer reading clubs at the public library and always wanting to buy more books through the scholastic book sale at school. My daddy read with me and birthed in me this love of reading. I still carry this love with me today. I can easily find myself engrossed in a book for hours. I love books and even have a problem buying more books than I have time to read, lol! I’m so grateful that he inspired in me the desire to read and helped me see how reading can open up my imagination and provide me with new knowledge.
I’m also thankful that my daddy would come to school with us. I remember when he first starting doing this and how embarrassed I was! I didn't quite understand his motivation to willingly spend an entire day at school with us. However, as I got older, I began to understand his desire to do this and it gave me a great sense of pride. I was proud that my daddy loved and cared for me enough that he wanted to sit in my classes to see what my teachers were teaching me and to understand what my school experience was truly like. I was proud to show him off to my teachers and friends. I’m thankful for him tangibly showing how much he valued my education. That value he placed in me will never go away. It inspired me to go to college, continue on for a Master’s degree, and has motivated me to stay in my PhD program.  My daddy helped me see how education could help lead to many possibilities. The value he imparted in me is one I try to share with the students I get the privilege of serving alongside on college campuses. For that I’m so grateful.
Cooking
My daddy was an AMAZING cook! As I reflect back on my childhood, no matter how tight our financial situation, we always had a good meal to eat. I am forever grateful for that. My favorite food memories are the big breakfasts he cooked for us. These included steak and gravy, cheese and eggs, grits, biscuits and orange juice. When we had these weekend breakfasts, my heart would be so happy. I still have not perfected the cheese and eggs, but hope to one day master it (hopefully my aunt Robin will share the family secret!). My daddy taught me that food is truly the way to someone’s heart and the power of food can bring people together. I have tried to honor his legacy by continuing to cook and get better at the craft. I mean I must be making some progress because I’m allowed to make the macaroni & cheese for family gatherings. In the Black community, THIS. IS. A. BIG. DEAL. I know my daddy would be proud! Being in the kitchen always makes me feel connected to him.
Family
My daddy instilled in me the importance of family. A lot of this I learned by just observing him and his interactions with his family. The way he spent time with his family and how close he was to his siblings and cousins was inspiring.The connection and bond within the Thompson /Johnson family is unbreakable. I am so grateful for this value in my life. It has shaped the way Emmanuel and I live our life and how we prioritize family. My daddy was also dedicated to preserving our family history. I’m so grateful for the many Thompson family reunions I’ve gotten to attend and the opportunity to meet so many of my cousins (shoutout to my first pen pal, cousin Joi!). This has instilled in me a desire to keep up with our family history and ensure my future kids and grandkids know the legacy they come from. I’m thankful my daddy didn’t just say family was important, but lived that way.
Poetry
My daddy’s love of poetry and ability to write poetry well has always inspired me. I love how everyone in the family always came to my daddy to write poems for other family members. It was such an honor to watch him do this. I remember the family wanted him to write a poem for Aunt Frances’ funeral, but it was his chemotherapy week & he wasn’t feeling great. He told the family he didn’t think he could do it. However, my daddy always shows up and shows out & literally finished writing the poem at viewing and was able to recite it during the funeral! He had a way with words that made it look so easy. This love of words and poetry was passed on to me. I love poetry. It is the language of my soul. It is the way I best express myself. It is my favorite genre of writing. Poetry is a part of me. I owe my love of poetry to my daddy. I’m thankful that my daddy was such a talented writer and for his willingness to share his love of writing with me. I am forever grateful for him introducing me to poetry. It has been a lifeline for me. My daddy will always be my first and favorite poet and I will honor his legacy by continuing to write poetry.

I could write a book about all my daddy has taught me. So much of who I am is because of who he was. My hope is to honor his legacy by living a great life. My daddy lived well until his dying day. My hope is that I can do the same and honor his legacy.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading this today. It put a big smile on my face. It's a honor being one of Leonard's sibling. Love and miss you Leonard, RIP.

    ReplyDelete