Monday, February 1, 2016

I'm back

I’m back! So, if you’ve been following me you might have noticed that I haven’t written in my blog in almost a year! I know, I can’t believe it either! Writing has been a love of mine for as long as I can remember. I remember doodling in the corners of papers, making up creative stories, and getting my love of writing poetry from my daddy, who’s an amazing poet! Writing has been a stress reliever, a place to be authentically myself, and an opportunity to breathe.

Then, that all changed. My full-time work schedule kept my days packed and made writing feel like a distant dream. Then, I started a doctoral program as a full-time student, which changed my view of writing. Writing was no longer fun for me, but instead stressful. I found myself on the outskirts. Academic writing was not where my heart was. I felt my poetic voice was not valued. I wrestled with either playing the game to survive or resisting the urge to conform in order to save my soul. It was exhausting. It was hard. It was eye opening.

I had a lot of time over Christmas break to reflect and consider what I wanted and needed to thrive this year. What was missing? Where was the gap? After lots of time in my head and feelings, I realized writing was something that kept coming up. I just couldn’t shake it. I have a note on my phone with dozens of poems I’ve never finished, blog post ideas that didn’t feel good enough to post, and just thoughts. As I read those lists, I decided I would not let expectations of the type of writer I should be influence my love of writing.

Having the ability to pursue a Ph.D. is a blessing that I am daily grateful for. I will continue academic writing in those spaces as a way to survive and ultimately finish the journey I began. However, I will also write how I want to write, using my voice, in my own way. I will use my blog to share my voice and perspective authentically and this excites me!

I want to be clear about what my blog will be:

·         I will write when I feel like it! I can’t promise you a specific frequency, but instead I want to be inspired to share when I have something to say. It might be weekly, monthly or you may hear from me every other day if I’m feeling inspired! I want to write because I love writing.

·         I will share some of my poetry. It’s been hard for me to admit it, but I am a poet and poetry is my favorite way to write. I look forward to sharing my love of writing with you in this way.

·         I will write informally! This is not an academic blog, but a space for me to resist the urge to believe only one type of writing should be privileged. That means I’ll be using contractions a lot, speaking in first or third person, and sometimes writing in fragments. If this bothers you, my blog is not for you!

·         I will share about a variety of topics (family, politics, school, baking, friendship, funny, sad, serious and the list goes on and on). I am more than a student. I am more than a wife. I am more than a Christian. I am more than happy. I am more than scared. I want you to see all of me.

·         I will have fun. I will enjoy the freedom of writing how I want, when I want, about what I want.

So, will you journey with me? Will you join me as I share my life as authentically as I can, in the way I want? Will you find ways to do the same? I hope you’ll take a chance on me, be inspired to take agency over your life, and remember the things you love. What do you need to bring back into your life? What energizes you? Make a commitment to find a way to make it a part of your life again.

Until I’m inspired to write again,


Mika J

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! You'll have to check in on me to make sure school doesn't distract me! :)

      Delete
  2. I just love you! Excited to journey with you, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love you Amy!! Thanks for journeying with me!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back...my fellow writer. I'm excited to read, reflect, and be rejuvenated by your posts. Here's to writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Here's to writing and claiming our gifts as writers! To God be the glory!

      Delete
  4. I am thrilled by this post. I can't wait to read more. For the love of writing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Excited to get back to my love of writing!! P.S.- The recipe you posted on your blog looks DELICIOUS!!!

      Delete
  5. Amen Ph.D. Sister! This journey is not for the weak. I agree, keeping our voice is imperative. Higher levels higher expectations to pour out our soul back into the world! That gives us life!

    <3 D.L.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sistah friend! Appreciate your support and encouragement to keep my voice in this process!

      Delete
  6. Mika, I am so glad to hear that you are reconnecting with your writing -- I am proud of you, friend! The timing is really funny because I was just thinking about how I miss writing as well. I think I'm gonna get back into it too. You inspire me! xoxox, real friend

    And you are too funny with the if you don't like contractions, this ain't your blog... LOL so great

    ReplyDelete